Thursday, June 11, 2009

No More Excuses

Most of my posts are about my kids but occassionally I do have a thought that is not kid-centered. That is my stomach in all its glory - you could easily play connect the dots with my moles but it is what it is. I recently had my 10th mole removed for biopsy at 28. 8 of the 10 have been pre-cancer and the other 2 were just for kicks I guess. As most of you know, my Mom has had 2 stage 4 melanomas and numerous other skin cancers. I am probably more diligent than most 28 year olds about going to the dermatologist but I should not be. Here are some fun facts about melanoma, the fastest growing cancer in the USA and one of the cancers that people have the least knowledge about. Consider this among the things that you learn today and go to the dermatologist. I have a great one, Cynthia Dolan or if you prefer a man (yes, guys, men can get skin cancer as well) then you can see Dr. Friedman - North Ga Dermatology: 770.962.5040. No more excuses - you don't even have to look up the number.
  • Melanoma is now the fastest growing cancer in the U.S
  • There have been no significant advances in the medical treatment or survival rate in the last 30 years.
  • Melanoma cases are increasing at an epidemic rate of 3% a year.
  • In the U.S. there are as many new cases of melanoma each year than there are of AIDS.
  • There were 59,000 new case of melanoma in the U.S. in 2005.
  • Melanoma is the sixth most common cancer in the U.S.
  • Melanoma is the most common cancer in men and women ages 20-29.
  • In women 25-29, melanoma is the primary cause of cancer death, and in women 30-34 it is the second most common cause of cancer death.
  • In the U.S. your chance of getting melanoma in 1940 was 1 in 1500. By 2004, it was 1 in 67. By 2010, scientists predict it will be 1 in 50.
  • If caught in the earliest stages, melanoma is entirely treatable with a survival rate of nearly 100%. If untreated and allowed to spread, there is no known treatment or cure.
  • Wear suncreen, put sunscreen on your kids and DON'T go to the tanning bed. Remember that tan skin looks good but it is in no way healthy. I would rather be pale and cancer free than tan and covered with cancer.
Coming down from my soap box now, please just make the appointment to go. A few stitches and a little discomfort is really not that big of a deal.

1 comment:

The Lockharts said...

I am going to make B read this and we will schedule him an appointment ASAP. By the way you look skinny!

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am honored to be the wife of an amazing man and the mother of two adorable kids! I love to be creative and have fun. I hope that you find a thing of two on this site that you would like to try with your kids as well. Enjoy each day!

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones